When involved with children and young people for Sign Hi Say Hi!, all parents/carers, staff and volunteers are acting in a position of trust. It is important that parents/carers, staff and volunteers are aware that they may be seen as role models by children and young people, and must act in an appropriate manner at all times.
• ensuring your language is appropriate and not offensive or discriminatory;
• challenging unacceptable behaviour and report all allegations/suspicions of abuse;
• treating others in a respectful, positive and considerate manner.
• not publishing, posting or discussing information that is considered confidential or not public. If it seems confidential, it probably is. Online “conversations” are never private.
• Always respecting the privacy of other Sign Hi Say Hi! members. NEVER give out or transmit personal information of other families without their permission
• It is not acceptable to post pictures of children other than your own without the expressed written consent of their parents.
• treating children and young people fairly and without prejudice or discrimination;
• ensuring any contact with children and young people is appropriate
You Must Not
• patronise or treat children and young people as if they are silly;
• make sarcastic, insensitive, derogatory or sexually suggestive comments or gestures to or in front of children and young people
• act in a way that can be perceived as threatening or intrusive;
• jump to conclusions about others without checking facts;
• either exaggerate or trivialise safeguarding issues;
• use a mobile phone or take pictures of children or young people